Can we be honest for a moment? We all make mistakes. And there is no guarantee that anything we do will work out like we want it to or think it should.
I think
we I sometimes get so worried about making mistakes that
we I fail to act when
we I should. Why is that? Sometimes
we I feel phony or ill-prepared to handle what
we I see as a need. Sometimes
we I become overwhelmed by the immensity of the problem that
we I don't know where to start or how anything
we I do will make a difference. But God expects us to act.
7-11Everything in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all, love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything. Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, a bed to the homeless—cheerfully. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around so all get in on it: if words, let it be God's words; if help, let it be God's hearty help. That way, God's bright presence will be evident in everything through Jesus, and he'll get all the credit as the One mighty in everything—encores to the end of time. Oh, yes! (1 Peter 4:8, The Message)
It is interesting that the definition of the word "act" is
to play a role or a part; to perform.
How often do
we I complicate the choice to act or not to act? Too often
we I let a limited understanding of an unlimited God affect this vital choice.
We I tend to make the decision based on what
we I know will yield a positive result.
We I must accept that
we are I am
NOT responsible for the outcome. And when
we I can buy into that idea,
we I will begin to act like
we I should.
We I have a role to play.
It does not matter how qualified
we I feel or what
we I believe to be possible. It only matters that
we I follow Jesus' example and obey Him.
We I can see very clearly in the passage above that what matters is that
we I play
our my part and do something.
We I can pray, or be generous, or whatever, but
we I should not worry about making mistakes. All
we I should worry about is acting out of love. As long as love is the motivation, the impetus for action, then it will be forgiven. Until today I always thought the forgiver in this passage was Jesus and the "sinner" was whoever I was showing love to...but I'm beginning to suspect that the forgiver is that person to which I show my love and the "sinner" is me. I may offend, frustrate or anger someone with my actions, but if I am motivated by a pure love, in the end, it will be forgiven.
So what am I waiting for? Its time to start making mistakes. Will you forgive me?
1 comment:
This reminds me of something that I struggled with in grad school and helps me to further my new perspective on the situation. In grad school, and undergrad for that matter, I was always critiquing things for assignments and learning about the "ideal man/woman". These perspectives then translated into my everyday life. If a speaker or someone I knew said/did something that contradicted their words I was all over it! But then in grad school, as I struggled to live up to the standards I was trying to hold others too, I had an epiphany. The notions of an "ideal man/woman" are theories or goals in life and generally will never be attained. In other words, Dan, you need to cut people some slack.
After reading this post, it reminds me that Jesus still loves me and everyone who I was judging even though we are sinners and make mistakes! So why should I be all over them for being contradictory when I make the same mistakes. I hope my musings make sense and maybe even add a layer to the post.
Post a Comment