Every once in a while, I get sick.
I know most people would probably respond with something like, "well,...duh..." Especially when I go on to say that I hate getting sick. Does anyone actually like getting sick? I mean besides the average hypochondriac (yeah, I know you claim you don't like getting sick, but I don't believe you).
But it really is weird for me. I have a tendency to walk around with the expectation of health. I am genuinely surprised every time I get sick. I am not afraid of getting sick and rarely take the precautions that most people do. I have faith in my immune system and its ability to do what it was designed to do (and I don't use the word "designed" lightly). In my mind, health and attitude are not disconnected. I joke about hypochondriacs, but sadly, it is a truth that some people choose to live in sickness rather than health.
But when I do get sick, I have this tendency to turn into a big baby. It leaves me wanting nothing more than for someone to take care of me. I'm not looking for someone to fix it, just for someone to ease the process and comfort me while I wait to get better. I know its going to take time to get through the process of getting better. When I am sick I am reminded that despite my best efforts to hide it, I am not perfect - I have flaws and those flaws sometimes get the best of me. My vulnerability is exposed.
Getting sick shows my need for something - for Someone - beyond myself. I may hide my true heart's cry for help on a regular basis, but in my weakest moments, it comes out.
So today I am thankful for the reminder that getting sick brings me to be grateful to Jesus, my savior, my healer, my friend. and all He does to comfort me through my daily sicknesses. He is my eternal immune system and is constantly working to restore me to the health I was created for and choose to live in.

1 comment:
Ah yes, the man cold:) But I do think that most of us appreciate being taken care of. Sick or not. Secretly...deep down. Hope you feel better soon!
Post a Comment