Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Hymns - O, for a thousand tongues...

Welcome to the 2nd edition of Sunday Hymns.  If I had started the year online this would have been the 1st hymn you would have seen, for several reasons.  I am amazed by the lyrics.  I am amazed by the heart.  And I love the tradition of it.  

From the note at the bottom of the page in my hymnal: Written by Charles Wesley on the first anniversary of his conversion, Sunday, May 21, 1738.  Methodists have traditionally made it the first hymn in their hymnbooks since the time of John Wesley.

O, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing, 1739

O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise, the glories of my God and King, the triumphs of His grace!
My gracious Master and my God, assist me to proclaim, to spread through all the earth abroad the honors of Thy Name.
Jesus! the Name that charms our fears, that bids our sorrows cease, 'tis music in the sinner's ears, 'tis life, and health, and peace.
He breaks the power of canceled sin, He sets the prisoner free; His blood can make the foulest clean; His blood availed for me.
He speaks and listening to His voice, New life the dead receive; the mournful, broken hearts rejoice; the humble poor believe.
Hear Him ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb, your loosened tongues employ; ye blind, behold your Saviour come; and leap, ye lame, for joy.
 This hymn just makes me grateful for so many things.  I love the declarations of power and victory sprinkled throughout.  I love the confidence in a good and loving God.  I love the freedom and inability to hold back praise and adoration for an ever good God.  Be blessed by this hymn and may you see the same freedom and feel the same gratitude this week.

Oh, and David Crowder appreciates this hymn too...


Have a great Sunday, friends!

No comments: