Good morning!
One of my goals for this coming year is to take every Sunday morning and post a hymn on my blog. I want to do this because for a long time, I have loved the depth and power of some of the hymns that are left more or less unsung in many American churches these days. I grew up singing hymns and they will always hold a special place in my heart. I will start with some of my favorites, but as I spend time reading through a hymnal (you read that sentence correctly), I plan to post some of my "newly discovered gems" as well.
This week I am excited to post "Joyful, Joyful, We adore Thee" - this is one of my favorite hymns, but also one which has found new life recently and is soon going to become a favorite in my church and many other churches around America. Enjoy. :)
Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee, God of glory, Lord of love; Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee, opening to the sun above. Melt the clouds of sin and sadness, drive the dark of doubt away; Giver of immortal gladness, fill us with the light of day.
All thy works with joy surround Thee, Earth and heaven reflect Thy rays, stars and angels sing around Thee, Center of unbroken praise. Field and forest, vale and mountain, flowery meadow, flashing sea, chanting bird and flowing fountain, call us to rejoice in Thee.
Thou are giving and forgiving, ever blessing, ever blest, well-spring of the joy of living, ocean depth of happy rest! Thou are Father, Christ our Brother, all who live in love are thine; Teach us how to love each other, lift us to the joy divine.This is a great hymn and I love it for its focus on God and the way His creation points to His greatness. We truly can trust in a God who loves us enough to create so many amazing things as signs of His might and glory. Do you know how deep the oceans are? They are nothing compared to His glory. Do you know many mountains there are? They were each created by His hand. Do you realize that He created everything in between and beyond? Wow! What an amazing God. We can rest in joy, even in the midst of our struggles and doubts because He is always at the Center. He is never changing; always blessing; giving and forgiving.
Enjoy this version by Brenton Brown:
Have a great Sunday, friends!

1 comment:
Jeff,
Thanks for the wonderful hymn. It is important to reallign yourself once in a while and turn off the distractions of modern life; of which there are many. We must remember what is truly important in life; God, family, and friends. Thanks Jeff.
Post a Comment