Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Justice

Well, I was recently summoned for jury duty and I'll admit that I was nervous about what it would be like.  I had no idea what to expect. 

As it turned out, the process really wasn't that bad and I was surprised to find myself fascinated in the process.  I did not get selected as a juror which is in some ways is wonderful, but in other ways is a disappointment.  I'm happy to say that even after experiencing just the selection process, I have a greater faith in our judicial system.





In case you don't know, the process is pretty simple.  It starts a little after everyone has arrived and checked in.  Once everyone is seated in the spectator's area of the courtroom they show all of the potential jurors a video about what the jury selection process is, what the juror's role/responsibility is, what the court system is like in comparison to entertainment's portrayals of it.

After everyone has a better picture of what is going to happen, the judge introduces the attorneys and explains the case.  The potential jurors are sworn in, and the first group of jury candidates are randomly selected for interview.  21 jury candidates were selected and questioned.  The judge carefully explains a variety of questions pertaining to each candidates personal life and experiences which may affect their ability to judge impartially.  Various candidates are then excused due to circumstances which the judge may deem worthy of dismissal.  This process took about an hour and a half.  The attorneys then have an opportunity to question specific candidates in further detail or address the group in general.  The attorneys then decide which jury candidates they are willing to accept and which ones they are not.  The attorneys and judge meet and select a group of candidates to make official jurors. 

In our case, 6 jurors were selected in the first round.  Another group of 21 candidates is brought in and questioned in the same way.  This process keeps going on like the first time until there are 12 jurors and a few alternates. 

My number never got called to get interviewed.  They ended up filling the jury in the first two groups.  I believe I would have really enjoyed being on the jury.  I would not have been selected for this case even if I had wanted to be because of my relationship with several of the witnesses.  This was a criminal case (the jury decides whether or not the accused committed the crime they are committed of).  Many of the people involved with the case are former students of mine.  It would have been difficult sitting on a case involving a family from my school district and returning to teach without having my character judged by other families and potential students.

I really liked the judge presiding over the case.  He would have made a great teacher.  One really cool thing about this experience was seeing just how impartial the judge was.  It is a very natural thing to think that because the defendant is there and has been accused of a crime, that there is probably some level of guilt ("where there's smoke there's fire" philosophy).  But the judge reiterated that as the defendant sat there, they were innocent.  Innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, without having to do a single thing to defend oneself.  What a profound and important idea.  The weight of responsibility in the case was on the Assistant District Attorney (<-- my cousin is one of those!).  What a novel idea.  To think that this was a relatively new idea around the time that the American colonies were forming!  I'm proud to be an American.  I am sure that guilty people go free under this system from time to time.  But I can see no other way of providing true justice - justice where freedom is actually valued.  Justice where innocence is presumed and preserved at the cost of making a mistake.  A system that trusts there will be due evidence when someone is actually guilty.  What a beautiful system!  I believe this system could be considered "gracious" - giving at the cost of oneself. Knowing that some will slip through is a costly and potentially scary idea, but it gives others more than they may actually deserve and in that way protects freedom.  You may disagree with me here.  But I feel blessed to know that when I am accused I will have a fair trial that will stand on evidence and that I can stand without the burden of having to "prove myself" or explain my innocence.

God bless America.  May this spirit of grace and habit of assuming the best about others pervade our culture.  May we let go of our compulsions to sit in judgment on others for the things they say or do, for the way the look or dress, for where they come from or live.  May we learn to accept others for who they are and learn to show love.

PS, this was not me:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately many innocent people end up being found guilty. The justice system is not as just as it might seem and not all judges are fair and believe in the concept of "innocent until proven guilty." My uncle, a former pastor, spent two and half years in prison for something he didn't do....his trial was a joke - his lawyer was terrible (they found out afterwards that he was in the beginning stages of alzheimers (sp?), the jury slept thru most of the trial, the judge and DA were rude and obnoxious throughout the entire trial.... needless to say my family has very little faith in the justice system, once it is experienced up close and personal it loses some of its charm.

jRad said...

Dear Anonymous - I'd like to say that I'm sorry for your experience with the justice system. I cannot imagine how painful and difficult that was for you and your family. I did recognize this was a possibility and almost didn't post on this topic because I would not want to make anyone feel as though I think the system is perfect and infallible.

Sadly, this is a system that relies on imperfect people. I am sure that the system's integrity is violated more often than we would like to admit. However I suspect that in general this is not the case. I also believe that this is the best system to exist yet. I don't think that having juries paid by the judge or government officials to yield a specific verdict regardless of the evidence (old England - pre-colonies), or throwing people into a lake to see if they float or sink provides any greater assurance of freedom. I don't think we will ever see a perfect system. But I trust in this system more than many others.

Above all, however, I place my trust in Jesus Christ. I know that human systems will fail us when we need them most, but Jesus will never fail. But we must keep in mind a proper perspective of success and failure. Trust in Jesus does not mean freedom from struggles, persecution, or attacks. Most of the apostles were persecuted and thrown in jail. They could not rely on "justice" in this life. But they kept their vision on the life to come, knowing that in the end, it is God's job to provide true Justice where He needs to and mercy where He can.

I apologize for the American public which has let you down. And I pray that you and your family can find peace and hope, as well as healing. May God's forgiveness be your ultimate hope.