Sunday, October 12, 2008

Defend Your Honor

For those of you who don't know, I tend to draw a lot of spiritual analogies, ideas, and lessons from everyday things that I encounter. This can be stuff I see on TV or in movies, things I hear in a song, something I see on the side of the road, something I read somewhere, etc. It is quite eclectic, but that's who I am.

I am currently reading Alexander Dumas' The Three Musketeers (for the second time). As I was reading it, I was struck by how quickly D'Artagnan jumps to defend his honor. His hotheadedness gets him into duels (that are supposed to end in death) over silly things. He risks his life and his dream of becoming a musketeer to protect something he perceives as his right in life. His emotional insecurity interferes with him achieving his life-long dream. He is so worried about protecting the little honor that he has that he makes a choice that risks gaining the even greater honor of becoming a musketeer. My question is, how often do I do the very same thing, over-extend myself to protect something that doesn't really matter? How often do I allow myself to lose sight of the greater purposes on my life by trying to protect the miniscule pieces of my purpose and destiny that I've already achieved. If I truly believe that God has ordained the steps of my life, I will not allow myself to get in my way. The only way that I can do this is to keep my eyes on Him, the Author and Perfector of my faith, the Writer of my destiny and the Creator of my purpose. God grant me the peace and hope to walk in your ways.

1 comment:

Andy and Lyndsay said...

Hi Jeff! Welcome to the blogging world :-)
Andy is really bummed that he wasn't able to hang out with you this weekend. I hope we can see you sometime soon. We thought of you recently when we were at a church that was advertising for a Bible study entitled, "The Office according to the Bible" and it was all about episodes and how they correlate to Scripture/common struggles people face. I thought of you because, as you mentioned in the blog, you are able to find correlations to things often...
Anyways, we hope things are going well for you!