I watched the movie "Grizzly Man" today. For those of you who don't know (but should!), Timothy Treadwell was a man who spent much of his life trying to protect grizzly bears in Alaska. He ended up dying at the hand (paw?) of one of these grizzlies. I was struck by how much of himself he poured into protecting these bears. He had committed himself to a cause. However misguided this commitment was, he had found something he was willing to die for.It worries me that there are not more people in America that have found something they are willing to be so dedicated to. There is a need in this country for people to look beyond themselves. Indifference and complacency are a serious disease within American culture. As a Christian, one of my biggest fears is that the church will lower its standards to appeal to the culture. I am genuinely concerned that in order to reach people, the church will step down to their level instead of drawing them up towards God.
Though I disagree with his ideals and philosophy of life, I respect Timothy because he was willing to make sacrifices and set aside the "norm" as part of his search for something bigger than himself. I would rather befriend someone like Timothy and disagree with him, than make a friend of someone who doesn't stand for anything. Passion for a purpose can be refined and brought into alignment with God's purposes in life. Complacency cannot as easily be affected. I hope that the church can stand up to this call and rally together to pull this country in the right direction. Without our efforts, I fear that this nation will quickly and willingly end up lost on the sea of indifference with no intention of being rescued, satisfied to succomb to "whatever fate may bring." Is there still hope for America? I don't know. What I do know is this: that Christ called all men to a higher standard and a greater purpose than what we see on a daily basis in this country. Will you challenge those around you to step up and accept that call?

No comments:
Post a Comment