Last night I was given the wonderful opportunity to speak at the National Honor Society induction ceremony. It was a really great event and was a fun time honoring some of the bright spots of LCS. There were a lot of good, inspiring speeches that seemed to fit well together. I enjoyed being there to hear what was said and was amazed at the overwhelming positivity of the night. I can't wait to go back again next year.
I was humbled by the introduction made by a former student and graduating senior - such kind things said about my teaching, my attitude, and my character. I was blown away! Truly amazed that some of my students feel that way.
Anyway, I know some people were interested in seeing what I said when given the opportunity to address this group of fine young individuals and their families. So here are my speaking notes. When I speak, I tend to go a little off script and say things in slightly different ways than how it's written down, so it's not an exact transcription, but this will give you a good feel for what was said.
I'm still amazed at how many people have complimented me on my speech and said that they really liked what I had to say. My thanks to those who helped me flesh out some ideas and confirm some things I had been wanting to say were timely and appropriate as well as proof-reading my speech notes to make sure they were coherent - Thank you to Kathy Mauer, Ben Schultz, Melissa Stroud, and Lauren Hurlburt.
....................................................................
(Greetings and thank you's for the opportunity to speak)
"Honor Society members: We are here to honor you. We're here to honor you for what you have done, and we are here to honor you for who you are."
We're also here to give you the opportunity to act with honor towards others. This is a moment to live up to something that others have seen in you. Don't take it lightly.
To honor is to give special attention to; to recognize.
This organization is called the honor society; it's purpose is to promote and create a culture of honor in a couple of key areas:
Scholarship – shows that we can give or receive honor for accomplishments and achievements. We respect a job well done.
Service – shows that we can give or receive honor for humility. It is good to recognize one's place in life and realize that life is not all about "me".
Leadership – shows we can give or receive honor for ability to get things done. Whether innate or learned, we respect those who can be relied on.
Character – shows we can give or receive honor for values. We respect who someone has chosen to be and what they have chosen to represent.
Citizenship – shows we can give or receive honor for involvement. We respect those who make an effort.
Keys to honor:
1. Honor Authority - because it's right. Teachers, Administrators, Law Enforcement, Parents. They deserve your honor because they've dealt with stuff you haven't imagined and are responsible for looking after your best interests.
2. Honor One another with observable expressions - because the very fact that you're a human being is worthy of honor. Consider others better than yourself. Require honor of yourself to be given freely to others, but do NOT require that others give you honor - even if you believe you're worthy of it. Honor can be expressed simply: be on time, be prepared, do what you say you'll do or what is expected of you, listen, make eye contact, open doors for people, be wary of harsh jokes. Be willing to forgive and offer second (or third) chances.
3. Honor others in the way you receive honor - when you develop a lifestyle of honoring others, you yourself will be honored.
There are no dishonorable people, only people who make dishonorable choices. It is a founding principle of our nation that all people are created with inherent worth and value inseparable from themselves. Honor is an expression of an attitude. Be intentional in cultivating that attitude. Create a culture of honor. Be an honor society.

No comments:
Post a Comment